Friday, April 4, 2008

Homemade Hi Quality Hi Protein Doggy Chow!

Here's a really simple doggie recipe that I'm using with my dogs... and they love it! It comes recommended by our vet, and the trainer-breeder who's currently working with our dogs. Check it out!

2 Cups Rice (Brown)
2 Cups Lentils (depending on where you are, choose the most high protein one available)
1 Cup Soy nuggets (raw)
3 Cups chopped vegetables - whatever is in season(a mix of green, red and yellow in 1:3:2 proportion. Avoid potatoes... too much starch)

There are 2 versions that result from this depending on the cooking method and the amount of water used - pressure cook for a dry(ish) dish, or stew in a cooking pot (the rice makes this tricky). My dogs love the dry version. :)

When serving(the dry version), I add some curd to make it wet, and hence easier to swallow. I also add an egg for my boxer, as he's still in his growing period... very skinny!

Caution:
Some dogs have allergic reactions to some vegetables - especially green ones. Please vary the recipe to suit your dog.
Never use mushrooms... nearly all dogs are allergic to them.
Do not add more green vegetables... most greens have a laxative effect, and can cause runny tummies for dogs. (Have experienced this everytime I switched the yellows and greens around)
Some dogs are allergic to soy - I use Soy as a substitute for meat (almost the same protein), but meat will do just as well... good quality lean beef is highly recommended!

Thats it!!

The great thing about this recipe is that you can cook 3 days worth of it in one go, and reheat and serve with any additions you'd like to make.

Enjoy! And let me know if your dog liked it! :)

1 comment:

Carol said...

I will have to make this for Shasta! She will love it! I'm so glad you're keeping a blog(s!) on Blogger... makes it so much easier for me to read them! Which do I think you develop, you ask? ALL of them -- as IF you had time for that! I love a blog simply titled "Shriyansi." It's perfect! I think your first post should be about how that name came about -- which you DID promise to tell me one day!

Love,

Carol